Community Legal Services, Inc. of Philadelphia (CLS) is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist to join our Finance team. We are seeking a candidate who possesses a strong understanding of accounting principles, demonstrates exceptional organizational skills, and pays meticulous attention to detail. As a valued member of our team, you will be responsible for a diverse range of tasks that contribute to the monthly financial close and annual audit processes. This role necessitates active engagement and cooperation with various units within the organization.
CLS is a non-profit public interest agency providing free civil legal services to low-income Philadelphia residents. As the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Philadelphia area, CLS is both locally and nationally renowned as a premier legal services provider dedicated to ensuring access to justice for all low-income individuals and communities. We provide high quality direct legal representation and engage in systemic advocacy to create broad-based change.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Thoroughly review payment requests to ensure proper documentation and approvals are provided.
- Coordinate and process payments, ensuring that approvals are obtained and/or signatures are obtained before mailing.
- Accurately input weekly ACH payments into the accounting software and reconcile with the appropriate GL Cash account.
- Verify completion of check payments.
- Review and approve expense reimbursement requests from staff.
- Track contractors and other vendors and prepare and submit 1099s.
- Manage and monitor the accounts payables to handle incoming invoices and reimbursement requests.
- Provide customer service support to internal staff and external vendors.
- Conduct general ledger (GL) reconciliations.
- Prepare audit schedules to facilitate the auditing process.
- Perform additional related tasks and duties as needed and assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Minimum two years related experience.
- Working knowledge of accounting software
- Experience using Excel and other products in Microsoft Office suite.
- Solid understanding of GAAP and grant accounting processes
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform special and specific financial and statistical analysis.
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively and provide customer service with internal staff and external partners.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Non-profit experience
- Previous experience with Accounting SAGE and MIP software
- Experience with SAP Concur Solutions
To Apply: CLS will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. You can submit your application on CLS’s website online at https://clsphila.org/careers/ OR submit your application below by clicking "Apply Now"
What to Include in your application: Please include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references (past or current supervisors preferred) identifying your relationship. Candidates advancing to final interviews will be asked to complete an assessment of their accounting skills.
CLS values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. CLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Compensation: This is a full-time position based in CLS’s Center City office. Salary ranges from $53,000 to $64,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits: CLS offers a very generous and competitive benefits package including 100% employer paid medical (including gender affirming care), life, and short/long-term disability benefits, a 403(b)-retirement plan with employer contribution, and generous leave package, including 13 paid holidays and five personal holidays each year.
Community Legal Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. CLS, Inc. does not discriminate in the selection of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, genetics, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, CLS complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.