Community Legal Services, Inc. of Philadelphia (CLS) is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant to join our Finance team. The Senior Accountant will help to ensure the financial health and stability of the organization and uphold standards for financial data integrity. They should possess robust analytical skills, exceptional communication abilities, and proficiency to handle multiple projects concurrently. As a valued member of our team, you will be involved in a variety of tasks that support the monthly financial close and annual audit. This role requires active participation and collaboration with other units within the organization.
CLS is a non-profit public interest agency providing free civil legal services to low-income Philadelphia residents. As the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Philadelphia area, CLS is both locally and nationally renowned as a premier legal services provider dedicated to ensuring access to justice for all low-income individuals and communities. We provide high quality direct legal representation and engage in systemic advocacy to create broad-based change.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Execute regular monthly closing procedures for all designated programs and projects.
- Collaborate in the preparation and review of financial statements to ensure compliance.
- Conduct analysis and reconciliation of balance sheets and general ledger accounts.
- Ensure monthly recording of salaries and staff deductions while reconciling withholding accounts.
- Oversee the monthly statement for business credit card holders, ensuring review and appropriate coding of expenses in the relevant GL account.
- Aid in the preparation of schedules that support financial audits.
- Support cost allocation process
- Update the Full Time Equivalent guide file with the most recent time records.
- Maintain records of all client IOLTA funds and approve funding disbursements.
- Monitor the organization’s operating leases.
- Conduct bank reconciliations.
- Act as a backup for other members of the Finance team.
- Perform additional functions and other duties as requested.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- Four to six years of experience in accounting.
- Working knowledge of accounting software.
- Experience using Excel and other products in Microsoft Office suite.
- Solid understanding of GAAP and grant accounting processes.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform special and specific financial and statistical analysis.
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively and provide customer service with internal staff and external partners.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Non-profit experience
- Previous experience with Accounting SAGE and MIP software
- Experience with SAP Concur Solutions
To Apply: CLS will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. You can submit your application on CLS’s website online at https://clsphila.org/careers/ OR submit your application below by clicking "Apply Now"
What to Include in your application: Please include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references (past or current supervisors preferred) identifying your relationship. Candidates advancing to final interviews will be asked to complete an assessment of their accounting skills.
CLS values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. CLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Compensation: This is a full-time position based in CLS’s Center City office. Salary ranges from $65,000 to $76,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits: CLS offers a very generous and competitive benefits package including 100% employer paid medical (including gender affirming care), life, and short/long-term disability benefits, a 403(b)-retirement plan with employer contribution, and generous leave package, including 13 paid holidays and five personal holidays each year.
Community Legal Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. CLS, Inc. does not discriminate in the selection of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, genetics, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, CLS complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.