Agency Overview:The Safe Center LI, Inc. (TSCLI) is the leading provider of services to victims of interpersonal violence in Nassau County. The agency provides comprehensive services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, and elder abuse. The Safe Center is an innovative organization that seeks to develop and implement unique interventions to meet the multifaceted needs of victims and survivors. Our mission is “to protect, assist, and empower victims of family violence and sexual assault while challenging and changing social systems that tolerate and perpetuate abuse.” To learn more about The Safe Center LI, please visit www.tscli.org.
Summary: The Pro Bono Coordinator will be responsible for the administration, operation, and development of the Pro Bono Project (PBP). Requires the ability to work well with diverse individuals, develop partnerships, and facilitate teamwork. Provide general oversight of the PBP, mentor, supervise, train potential pro bono volunteers and attorneys and provide legal representation as needed. Will be responsible for networking and expanding our pro bono services. This position will report directly to the Sr. Director of Legal Services.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a source of information on Agency’s legal services, pro bono policies and procedures;
- Recruit attorneys from law firms, collaborate with other non-for profit agencies, governmental agencies, legal service partners and other community leaders to expand pro bono participation;
- Be the contact person for law firms and attorneys engaged or interested in pro bono work;
- Mentor, supervise, and train pro bono attorneys in Family, Matrimonial and Immigration law;
- Identify, analyze and develop solutions that arise between pro bono attorneys and clients whenever possible;
- Maintain and expand relationships with law firms, pro bono coordinators and attorneys and legal community leaders;
- Coordinate with the Sr. Director of Legal Services on establishing and strengthening relationships with law firm partners and pro bono attorneys;
- Coordinate with the Sr. Director of Legal Services with the placement of cases with pro bono attorneys and other providers;
- Organize and coordinate trainings for pro bono attorneys by recruiting presenter(s); publicizing trainings; preparing and updating training materials; as well as facilitating trainings and special events;
- Prepare internal and external marketing efforts, including drafting articles for the Nassau Lawyer, write-ups of pro bono events, maintain current list of pro bono awards, CLE credits, and develop a pro bono newsletter;
- Create and generate surveys;
- Maintain and update case information in case management database and track statistics on client/case referrals for grant reports;
- Compile data for periodic grant reporting;
- Represent TSC Legal Department at outreach, recruitment and community events;
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD degree and at least 5-10 years work experience, preferably in a domestic violence, non-profit or legal setting.
- Must have knowledge and experience of Family, Matrimonial law, and Immigration law.
- Member of the Nassau County Bar Association or ability to become a member.
- Superior organization skills, with the ability to prioritize, work on numerous projects simultaneously, and pay close attention to details.
- Awareness of and commitment to diversity. Sensitivity to survivors of domestic violence and rape/sexual assault and the complexity of the issues they face. Sense of compassion and high ethical standards.
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
- Familiarity with the institutional culture of law firms a plus.
HOURS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Full-Time, Exempt, 35 hours per week Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. (may need to flex time to accommodate program needs);
- Annual Salary: $60,000, $62,000 if bilingual
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19;
- Benefits: Health, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation, personal and sick days;
- Mileage reimbursement for agency related travel.
Please Send resume with cover letter to:
Ingrid J. Villagrán, Esq.
Sr. Director of Legal Services
The Safe Center LI
15 Grumman Road West, Suite 1000
Bethpage, New York 11714
Tel. (516) 465-4700
Fax (516) 465-4750.
- Every application will be reviewed, but only applicants being considered for the next step in the recruitment process will be contacted.
The Safe Center is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, , religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, , marital status, parental or familial status, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, , status as a protected veteran, military service, housing status, other non-merit factors, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Safe Center believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to providing comprehensive and quality services to the communities we serve. Our goal is to hire, promote and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve, at all job levels. We encourage those with lived experiences in the communities we serve to apply.