Position: Member Services Assistant
Office Location: Within a Lambda Legal Regional Office*
Type:Per Lambda Legal's Work From Home (WFH) Policy, Work From Office (WFO) and WFH options are available with supervisor approval.
Report To: Director of Member Services
Union Status: G1
Annual Salary Range: $44,550 - $57,964
Travel: This position may require occasional travel within regions
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
*Regional Office Locations
- New York, NY
- Los Angeles, CA
- Dallas, TX
- Atlanta, GA
- Washington, DC
- Chicago, IL
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that advancing legal rights for the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Member Services Assistant
Lambda Legal seeks a Member Services Assistant to join their Development Department. The Member Services Assistant will primarily be responsible for in house receipting and providing donor customer service, research, and administrative support to the Member Services team. The position reports to the Director of Member Services.
Through email, phone, snail-mail and the website correspondence, the Member Services Assistant will maintain the accuracy of donor information and facilitate the outward distribution of Lambda Legal materials, programmatic updates, and other announcements. This work is intended to keep donors engaged with Lambda Legal both as financial supporters and as issue activists.
- Primary staff person responsible for receipting gifts made to Lambda Legal
- Assist in responding to questions and queries from members, donors, and the general public
- Maintain database to record communication with donors and maintain donor records
- Contact donors to resolve donation issues, such as missing information or declined credit cards
- Assist in the fulfillment of benefits for Lambda Legal's donor programs (ex. Justice Fund and Liberty Circle)
- Manage Lambda Legal's 3rd party employee matching gifts platform
- Manage select online fundraising events and campaigns through Tiltify and similar platforms
- Assist in external organization wide communications to donors
- Additional duties as assigned
To perform the job successfully, a candidate must:
- Be comfortable working with large amounts of data on a daily basis
- Be comfortable answering and making donor phone calls and assisting in customer service in real time
- Work both within a team and independently as needed
- Ability to understand how their daily tasks affect the organization and more broadly, the work, and the mission
- Be adaptable in a rapid response environment where day to day tasks can shift based on daily news cycles
- Be able to quickly learn how to use donor databases
- Have a high level of computer skills, including internet research, using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Have outstanding written communication and analytical skills
- Have outstanding cultural competency
- Previous donor and customer service experience
- Previous experience working with Raiser's Edge and Luminate Online
- Previous experience in a fundraising capacity for a non-profit
- Knowledge of Lambda Legal's work, the LGBTQ+ community and HIV communities, and their larger movements.
Benefits include Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees may obtain additional coverage for themselves and/or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. They also may enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a percentage match from Lambda Legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between Lambda Legal management and the Lambda Unites bargaining unit. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on our blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education, work, and life experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Lambda Legal encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals living with HIV are all encouraged to apply.