The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey (ACLU-NJ) seeks a Communications Associate to join its growing Communications department. This is a new role, designed for an enthusiastic, mission-driven professional looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven, vibrant organization that makes profound differences in the lives of people across our state.
This is a full-time, entry-level role based in Newark, NJ with a hybrid work schedule that currently offers the option of working remotely up to three days each week. This position reports to the Deputy Communications Director.
The Communications Associate plays a key role in the support of the ACLU of New Jersey’s ongoing communications systems and operations. They will support the day-to-day functions of the Communications Department in the areas of content creation, media relations, asset management, and administrative tasks. This person will build relationships with the press and support initiatives to strengthen the Communications team’s work.
What you’ll do:
- Draft and edit a broad range of communications deliverables including social media posts, press materials, and web content.
- Work with subject matter experts to respond to press inquiries and schedule interviews.
- Manage the organization’s media database, ensuring press lists are up-to-date and all media interactions are accurately tracked.
- Accurately and swiftly engage in rapid response and breaking news moments.
- Support the production and distribution of press outreaches, including news releases, press pitches, award nominations, paid media, and more.
- Assist the Deputy Communications Director with press events and rallies, including preparing speakers, logistics, signage, outreach items, advertising, and more.
- Generate regular reports and insights based on analytics of the organization’s impact and reach.
- Provide administrative support including asset management, developing agendas for meetings, scheduling, processing invoices, and more.
- Collaborate effectively with press and colleagues from a range of departments including Policy and Legal on strategic communications campaigns.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure, and strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work inclusively across diverse dimensions.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and professionally to a wide variety of media, stakeholder, and influencer audiences.
- Detail-oriented with ability to plan, organize, prioritize, track progress, and meet goals.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new tools, technology, and resources.
- Ability to jump from task to task regularly and easily, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under sometimes tough deadlines.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams, and additional web-based applications as needed. Familiarity with Cision or other media relations software a plus but not required.
- Ability to manage calendars, maintain databases and records as needed.
If you’re excited about bringing your talents and skills to the ACLU-NJ, visit www.aclu-nj.org/careers to complete the application and upload a resume and detailed letter of interest. Your letter should explain ways in which you satisfy the skills and qualifications specified above. We also invite applicants to include in their letter information about how their background and/or experiences could contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and advocacy work.
Application materials will also be accepted via postal mail (P.O. Box 32159, Newark, NJ 07102), but electronic filing is strongly preferred. We will accept applications until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website. We hope that one of those applications is yours.
The ACLU makes every effort to ensure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request accommodations for the interview process.
The salary range for this position starts at $52,000 and is negotiable, commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which currently includes 16 days paid time off in Year One, 12 office holidays and 18 health care leave days; medical, vision, and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax transit benefits; and a 401(k) plan with employer match. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The ACLU-NJ is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest organization, dedicated to defending and enhancing civil rights and civil liberties through litigation, legislative advocacy, organizing, and community education.
The ACLU-NJ is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture of belonging. It is our policy to employ qualified people without regard to race; color; religion; sex; national origin; age; ancestry; disability; sexual orientation; veteran’s status; marital status; civil union status; arrest or court record; citizenship; credit history; genetic information; gender identity or expression; status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking; or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law. The more inclusive we are, the better we are.
fix [MR1] [MR1]