Lone Star Legal Aid (LSLA) seeks one Staff Attorney (job #TEX 019-2023) for its Texarkana Branch Office.
LSLA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit law firm and its mission is to protect and advance the civil rights of low-income Texans by providing advocacy, legal representation, and community education that ensure equal access to justice.
Summary of Responsibilities
Regular full time Staff Attorneys to provide basic legal services to service areas impacted by opiod-use disorders, including children who need basic legal services because of opiod-use disorders by a parent, legal guardian or caretaker. Staff Attorney must be able to gather evidence, conduct civil lawsuits, draft legal documents, and advise clients about their legal rights. Staff Attorney must also be able to interview clients and witnesses, as well as handle other details in preparation for client legal representation. LSLA Staff Attorney represents clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government. The applicant interprets laws, rulings, and regulations for clients and the client community. The applicant is involved with outreach, community education, and works with the community to further the mission of LSLA. The successful applicant may supervise and coordinate activities of subordinate legal, clerical, volunteer, or student workers. The applicant will be expected to handle a case load, major litigation, attend evening legal clinics, and participate in community education. Bilingual (Spanish & English) speaking/writing skills preferred.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited Law School
- Licensed to practice in Texas or qualify for reciprocity
- Prior legal services or public interest experience preferred
Minimum Skills and Abilities
- Strong legal writing and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated client service orientation
- Skilled in interviewing, assessment, problem solving and negotiation
- Strong ability to work under pressure and make decisions quickly
- Demonstrated ability to aggressively pursue the rights of the client community
- Energetic, motivated and self starter
Location: Texarkana Branch Office: The successful applicant must have reliable transportation to travel throughout all Texas counties served by this office.
Lone Star Legal Aid is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.