Position: Human Resources Manager
Department: People & Culture/Human Resources
Office Location: Chicago, IL preferred - however, if not Chicago, the ideal candidate is located in any of the other following major metropolitan areas where Lambda Legal has an office: New York, NY (Headquarters); Atlanta, GA (Southern); Dallas, TX (South Central); Los Angeles, CA (Western); or Washington, DC.
Type: Per Lambda Legal's Work From Home (WFH) Policy, Work From Office (WFO) and WFH options are available with supervisor approval. Requires occasional travel for recruiting across all regions.
Report To: Chief of People & Culture
Annual Salary Range: $85,000-$110,000 depending on experience and certification
Travel: Up to 20%
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Human Resources Manager
The Human Resources Manager is an organized, forward-thinking, and creative individual with a passion for the mission of Lambda Legal. This role will assist in running the daily functions of the Human Resources department, with opportunities to lead strategic projects and process improvement. The manager will be a thought-partner and support to the Chief of People and Culture.
The successful candidate will be an experienced Human Resources professional, with a Generalist background.
The Human Resources Manager reports to the Chief of People and Culture and works collaboratively to lead strong service delivery and innovative solutions across the organization. The expectations of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide outstanding service to employees, leadership, and stakeholders, and address hotline concerns
- Manage and resolve employee relations concerns, including disciplinary action, grievance processing, mediation efforts, and supervisory coaching and guidance
- Assist in employee relations investigations
- Conduct onboarding training modules
- Monitor employee data for accuracy across the HRIS system, analyze, and prepare recurring and standard HR reports
- Manage and maintain up-to-date employee-related databases
- Implement staff surveys, and evaluate survey results
- Provide recommendations for improvements or changes to the HRIS system, and partner with the Chief of People and Culture to implement new software when needed
- Take ownership of organization-wide performance evaluation efforts, and when needed, partner with the Chief of People and Culture to implement evaluation changes
- Assist with workforce planning and succession planning efforts as needed
- Ensure the HR department is compliant and prepared for information requests and audits
- Provide recommendations for training programs and development opportunities for staff, and assist in coordinating and scheduling to completion
- Ensure the employee handbook is updated annually, and provide clarity and process improvement to policies when needed
- Conduct exit interviews, and evaluate exit interview data
- Additional duties as assigned
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves.
- 5+ years of experience in a Human Resources Generalist role, with a record of increasing responsibility
- SHRM certification a plus
- Experience working within nonprofits, with disbursed and remote staff
- Experience working within a unionized environment preferred
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational, project management, and time management skills
- Ability to follow through and provide status updates proactively or as requested
- Ability to multi-task while working independently and in a team environment
- Comfortable initiating and/or responding to a medium to high volume of needs and inquiries
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with ATS and HRIS software
- Proficient in SurveyMonkey or other comparable survey software
- Experience in implementing new HR software within organizations
- Able to interact and collaborate with coworkers at, and across, all levels of the organization
Benefits include Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees may obtain additional coverage for themselves and/or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. They also may enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a percentage match from Lambda Legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between Lambda Legal management and the Lambda Unites bargaining unit. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on our blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education, work, and life experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Lambda Legal encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals living with HIV are all encouraged to apply.