The Intake and Assessment Paralegal will work as a member of the intake and assessment team to conduct intake and assessment of new clients via the CLA SoCal Hotline and outreach events. This full-time, non-exempt position reports to the Associate Supervisor of Intake & Assessment.
- Screen clients for eligibility and obtain demographic information.
- Complete client intakes over the telephone and enter the appropriate data into legal database.
- Determine and document legal problems and relay advice and counsel given by attorney to eligible clients over the phone.
- Conduct in-person intake at the office or off-site clinics or outreach events.
- Follow compliance policies and procedures for client intake.
- Dependent on grant, assist with grant reporting and tracking grant deliverables.
- Prepare legal work under the supervision of an attorney.
- Maintain detailed and accurate case notes and timekeeping in case management system (LegalServer).
- Prepare and maintain client files, electronic and/or physical.
- Assist attorneys with intake and initial client appointments.
- Interview clients. Effectively and efficiently communicate with clients including accurately relaying legal advice provided by the attorney.
- Prepare legal forms, pleadings, memoranda, correspondence and other legal documents. Assist with citation checking.
- Assist attorneys with case investigation, witness interviews, factual and legal research.
- Perform various clerical duties such as record-keeping, document copying, e-Filing, etc.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- When qualified, engage in interpretation and translation for attorneys.
- Work with community groups, conduct outreach, and provide community education presentations and materials.
- Work with a multi-cultural perspective of inclusion and diversity.
- May be required to work at clinics and/or workshops located in local courts, CLA SoCal offices, or at partner agencies.
- Perform other duties as required to meet the needs of the organization.
- Paralegal certificate, paralegal degree or
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year of law-related experience under the supervision of an attorney who has been an active member of the State Bar of California for at least the preceding three years or who has practiced in the federal courts of this state for at least the preceding three years, and a written declaration from this attorney stating that the person is qualified to perform paralegal tasks.
- Experience working in a call center and utilizing a computer.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general CLA SoCal practice areas including Family Law, Public Benefits, Consumer and Housing – Preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish - Required
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy and ability to travel frequently in and around the service area for representation and to engage with clients and community partners.
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Excellent analytical, communication, and listening skills.
- Type 30 wpm.
- Ability to learn data entry techniques and use technology to communicate with our staff and/or clients.
- Ability to handle difficult and stressful client situations.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in several activities at once.
- Self-motivated, ability to learn quickly, initiative to problem-solve.
- Capacity to meet strict deadlines.
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with others.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of clients utilizing client-centered lawyering and trauma-informed frameworks.
- Proven interest in social justice issues.
What We Offer
CLA SoCal provides employees with training, professional development and growth opportunities, competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit. Our staff members work a 35-hour week with a flexible and hybrid work schedule. Some positions may work beyond a 35-hour week, including evening and weekend meetings and events, when caseload or other obligations necessitate. We offer an outstanding benefits package with rich medical/dental/vision/life insurance, long-term disability, and additional supplemental insurance. Our employees enjoy 16 paid holidays a year, vacation, personal time, and sick leave on their first day. Furthermore, we offer a competitive Law School Loan Reimbursement program, 401k with employer contribution, and a monetary bonus for eligible employees who can prove bilingual proficiency.
About Community Legal Aid and Our Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
CLA SoCal aims to fill all positions with people who share our values and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of different abilities, religions, identities, orientations, nationalities, and ethnicities. CLA SoCal is an Equal Opportunity employer. Please note research suggests that individuals identifying as Black, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, Indigenous, members of the LGBTQIA community, women, and people living with disabilities may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive at CLA SoCal to apply for this role.