Position: Regional Director (Midwest Regional Office)
Office Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Per Lambda Legal's Work From Home (WFH) Policy, Work From Office (WFO) and WFH options are available with supervisor approval. There is a minimum expectation of 3 days per week WFO due to this role's job responsibilities.
Report To: Chief Development Officer
Annual Salary Range: $125,000-$145,000 (depending on experience)
Travel: Approximately 20% across region and to national headquarters in New York
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
The Regional Director (RD) of Lambda Legal’s Midwest Regional Office based in Chicago is the chief regional representative of Lambda Legal, serving a role that encompasses development officer, community ambassador, office administrator, relationship builder and central figure in LGBTQ+ advocacy and politics. The RD’s primary goal is to increase financial resources for the organization through leadership, management and growth of existing and new markets in the region including budget development, planning, implementation and evaluation of all regional operations, partnerships and events.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the RD plays a leadership role in expanding Lambda Legal’s reach and fundraising operation in the region, particularly through major donor and leadership cultivation, while broadening the profile of the organization and selected fundraising markets throughout the region.
- Raise and manage an annual regional budget in excess of $1 million.
- Work closely with local staff, national development staff, regional Board members, National Leadership Council members, local Leadership Committee, and other volunteers in emerging and assigned markets.
- Focus on Lambda Legal’s targeted communities for fundraising purposes. The position requires a “roll up your sleeves” attitude and eye for and dedication to detail, as the RD is responsible for quality control of development and administrative activities taking place within the region.
- Work with the national development staff in designing and implementing the annual fundraising plan for the region. This includes building and maintaining relationships with donors, soliciting specific major gifts, identifying potential new donors for cultivation and solicitation, and taking a leading role in developing Lambda Legal’s major donor base in the region while working closely with regional Board, NLC, local Leadership Committees and other regional volunteers to coordinate development efforts and involvement throughout the region.
- Work with the Development staff to identify potential regional foundation funders and corporate and law firm sponsors while cultivating, soliciting, and serving as liaison to these supporters as needed.
- Develop and steward local Leadership Committees as well as other volunteer or event leadership committees in emerging regional markets.
- Play an integral role in the development and execution of fundraising and donor cultivation events with support from local and national event staff.
Advocacy, Visibility, and Collaboration
- Enhance Lambda Legal’s reputation and visibility as the “go to” authority in the region on issues relating to the civil rights of the LGBTQ+ community and those living with HIV.
- Nurture and expand strategic partnerships with partners and peer organizations in the region that represent the priorities of the civil rights movement at large, including racial justice, immigrant rights, and gender equity.
- Work closely with the Communications and Major Events teams to promote Lambda Legal throughout the region - including at Pride and other community events - and provide support as needed.
- Supervise the Office Manager/Regional Program Coordinator (OM/RPC) in their capacity to lead Lambda Legal participation in various Pride activations, community engagement outreach, and participation in key markets (includingChicago, Indianapolis, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Kansas City, Detroit).
- Provide insight and support in regional policy activities, working directly with onsite Legal team and others.
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Midwest Regional Office and ensure its smooth functioning.
- Supervise and evaluate the OM/RPC and, together address administrative matters for the regional office.
- Work with Lambda Legal’s department directors on developing and monitoring regional expense budgets.
- The RD is the primary local supervisor of the OM/RPC and is responsible for administrative supervision of the entire regional office. The regional office also consists of staff members from the Legal department who report to the Chief Legal Officer.
- Inspire and motivate a team of highly intelligent, accomplished and committed professionals united by a common mission and vision.
- Champion a culture of inclusion, professionalism, and organizational values throughout the office and region by fostering diversity and nurturing positive workplace morale.
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves. Skills and competencies include:
- Substantiated track-record in development and fundraising
- Significant success as a leader in issue-oriented work, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Successful track-record of managing individuals and teams
- Proven track record of engaging with, recruiting, and retaining high-level donors and volunteers
- Prior experience in advocacy across a range of spectrums, for example, public speaking, media interviews, seminars, and other forums
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and stakeholders - and build long-term authentic relationships
- Experience productively engaging with varying levels within and outside of the organization
- Proactive and outcome-driven with the ability to navigate changing circumstances and priorities
- Experience with income and expense procedures and reporting and analysis
- Experience in donor database management, a plus; Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Possess the following personal attributes: Trustworthy, Strategic, Organized, Results-Driven, Self-Starter, Inclusive, Transparent, Collaborative
Benefits include Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees may obtain additional coverage for themselves and/or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. They also may enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a percentage match from Lambda Legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between Lambda Legal management and the Lambda Unites bargaining unit. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on our blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education, work, and life experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Lambda Legal encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals living with HIV are all encouraged to apply.