Position: Executive Assistant/Office Manager
Department:Finance & Operations and Communications
Office Location: Washington, DC
Type: WFO in Lambda Legal’s Washington, D.C. office
Report To: Chief Operating Officer and Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
Annual Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Executive Assistant/Office Manager
Lambda Legal seeks an experienced administrative professional to support its Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Chief Communications and Marketing Officer (CCMO). This position is responsible for providing administrative support to the COO and CCMO, driving departmental operations, liaising with external partners, and managing operations within Lambda Legal’s Washington, D.C. office. The Executive Assistant/Office Manager will coordinate correspondence and communications, calendars, travel arrangements, expense reports and memos, among other responsibilities. The core function of the Executive Assistant/Office Manager is to prepare and organize both executives, so their maximum capacity is available to the organization’s most essential and consequential matters.
The Executive Assistant/Office Manager reports to both the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Communications and Marketing Officer and has no supervisory responsibilities.
The successful candidate will establish a professional, direct, and confidential rapport with the COO and CCMO and supportive, collaborative relationships with members of the Finance & Operations and Communications departments. Candidates with experience working in Communications, Marketing and/or Public Relations and general office operations will be given strong consideration. Responsibilities for this role include:
- Manage COO and CCMO calendars, including scheduling/arranging meetings. and sending invitations and reminders when needed. Schedule department meetings and maintain records of deliverables and other outcomes
- Coordinate executive travel, hotel, and car reservations, including verifying required travel documentation, determining timelines and processes to obtain necessary documentation
- Track COO and CCMO expense receipts and prepare monthly expense reports
- Accurately review, proofread, and assist with any materials, including documents, reports, memos, briefings, presentations, forms, and other items, ensuring accuracy and completeness
- Maintain office supplies, orders, and approvals; and oversee organization and upkeep of Washington, D.C. office
- Meet regularly with National Office Manager to provide updates on all office management, including oversight of repair/cleaning work and personnel, tracking security needs and keys, coordination with related vendors, contractors, external trainers, or other outsourced services that support the Regional Office operations.
- Assist with payments to vendors, review for accuracy, and processing of invoices/requests for payment
- File, scan, and copy, as needed
- Oversee and handle incoming and outgoing mail, packages, and faxes, including internal distribution
- Participate in Operations meetings and represent the regional office on other committees as assigned by Chief Operating Officer
- Manage technology and trouble shoot issues with support from tech staff
- Write, edit and special projects as assigned by Chief Communications and Marketing Officer
- Other administrative duties as assigned
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves. Skills and competencies include:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5+ years of related experience required in working in an executive assistant role supporting C-Level executives
- Experience in working with a non-profit focused on marginalized communities preferred but not required.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Effective at time management and meeting deadlines
- Excellent communicator - able to interact with people of all levels in a confident, professional manner
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Adept at problem-solving and decision making
- Proactive and self-directed
- Demonstrated ability and confidentiality to work with sensitive information
Benefits include Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees may obtain additional coverage for themselves and/or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. They also may enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a percentage match from Lambda Legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between Lambda Legal management and the Lambda Unites bargaining unit. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on our blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education, work, and life experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Lambda Legal encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals living with HIV are all encouraged to apply.