Agency Overview: The Safe Center LI, Inc. (TSCLI) is the leading provider of services to victims of interpersonal violence in Nassau County. The agency provides comprehensive services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, and elder abuse. The Safe Center is a thought leader that seeks to develop and implement innovative interventions to meet the multifaceted needs of victims and survivors.
Program Description: The Safe Home is a confidentiality located emergency shelter for those who have experienced domestic violence and need a safe place to live. We are a 17-bed communal living facility that services both families and individuals.Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of the Safe Home, the child advocate provides advocacy, supportive children’s services, daily child monitoring, and child programming.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide advocacy and accompaniment services for adult and child clients at the Safe Home including but not limited to the Department of Social Services, schools, outside agencies, courts and other entities depending on each individual client’s situation.
- Conduct child specific shelter intakes and orientation of the home
- Crisis intervention
- Assist parents with school registration, unenrollment, engagement and communication
- Safety planning specific to children
- Provide “Safe Sleep” training to parents
- Organizing age-appropriate activities and workshops for families to participate in both on-site and outside of the home
- On-site monitoring of children as scheduled
- Answer calls from the agency hotline providing information, referrals, and crisis intervention
- Conduct follow-ups via phone with potential clients who have reported instances of interpersonal violence
- Input data on agency’s response to reports of interpersonal violence
- Monitoring of daily clients’ activities while in the house, as well as respond to phone and door if necessary
- Use of shelter’s fire and security system, conduct monthly fire drills
- Daily entries in client database and log, detailing client engagement
- Clean and maintain playroom area/ furniture/toys
- Clean and maintain outdoor play area
- Ordering/ shopping for household items pertaining to childcare and activity needs
- Organize parties for special occasions and outings during school breaks
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
- High school diploma and at least two years relevant work experience with monitoring and caring for children ages 0-15 preferred.
- Work holidays as assigned by supervisor/ provide coverage for support staff as needed
- Work out of other locations in cases of emergency and relocation of shelter clients is required
- Must remain on duty until coverage is found if the next person working is not able to come in
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- Ability to utilize an agency vehicle to transport clients to necessary appointments
- Ability to use email, computer, fax machine
- Lifting and moving of household and client items.
Salary: $38,000 yearly salary, additional $2,000 if bilingual
The Safe Center LI is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, , religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, , marital status, parental or familial status, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, , status as a protected veteran, military service, housing status, other non-merit factors, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Safe Center LI believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to providing comprehensive and quality services to the communities we serve. Our goal is to hire, promote and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve, at all job levels. We encourage those with lived experiences in the communities we serve to apply.