Position: Database Health Associate
Office Location: New York, NY
Type: Per Lambda Legal's Work From Home (WFH) Policy, Work From Office (WFO) and WFH options are available with supervisor approval. There is a minimum expectation of 2 days per week WFO due to this role's in-office job responsibilities such as returned-mail processing.
Reports To: Director of Donor Databases
Union Status: G1 (on a scale of G1-G9)
Annual Salary Range: $56,500 - $58,200
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full-Time
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Database Health Associate
Lambda Legal seeks a Database Health Associate to join the Development Team. The Database Health Associate is responsible for creating and maintaining accurate constituent and donor records, executing database imports and exports while adhering to departmental standards, and creating and running queries to maintain overall data health for Lambda Legal’s donors and other constituents. In addition, this position is responsible for managing the department’s recurring gift decline notices and pledge review/reminder process for current donors.
The Database Health Associate reports to the Director of Donor Databases and works closely with the Database Team and solicitors across the Development Department to enhance the organization’s tracking of both constituents and donors as well as cultivation and solicitation efforts. This is an exciting opportunity for a data-driven individual to contribute to and improve upon the systems that ensure the smooth functioning of a national development program. Additionally, this position is a unique perspective from which one can learn about multiple fundraising programs across teams, specifically to gain perspectives into the work of solicitors across Major Gifts, Membership, Institutional, and Planned Giving fundraising.
Constituent Data Management
- Create and update constituent and donor records for both individuals and organizations in adherence with departmental guidelines and standards
- Maintain accuracy of data fields within constituent and donor records, including (but not limited to):
- Contact information
- Relationships: Ensure accurate record linking and soft crediting
- Communications limitations/do not contact flags
- Constituency codes
- Constituent attributes
- Process returned mail/NCOA address updates
- Identify, review, research, and merge duplicate constituent and donor records
- Run quality control queries, exports, and reports of new and updated records, biographical information, and contact information
- Review and analyze the information in constituent records holistically to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Develop new query, import/export, and report templates as needed
Database Imports & Exports
- Import solicitor actions (meaningful touchpoints with donors) as requested
- Ensure that solicitors are correctly assigned to constituent records according to departmental guidelines and assign, unassign, and reassign solicitors as requested
- Add new gift codes (funds, appeals, and packages) annually and as requested
- Create and/or maintain templates and instructions for various import and export types
Justice Fund Decline Process
- Manage process to identify donors whose recurring gift payments have declined or lapsed
- Improve on existing processes to notify donors of necessary updates to payment information
Pledge Entry, Review & Reminder Process
- Enter new gift pledges
- Use database queries and exports to generate outstanding pledge reports; organize, format, and distribute reports for solicitor review
- Make adjustments to pledges in the database based on solicitor review
- Generate and send pledge reminder letters
Development Onboarding &Training
- Assist with managing database user credentials, supporting departmental trainings, advising on adherence to best practices, and maintaining overall database integrity as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves.
Skills and competencies include:
- Well-organized, detailed-oriented, and focused, yet adaptable and responsive
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and interpersonal
- Able to work independently on projects while understanding bigger pictures of the department and how this role fits into Lambda Legal’s mission overall
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Non-profit database experience preferred, especially Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge and/or Luminate Online
Benefits include Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees may obtain additional coverage for themselves and/or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. They also may enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a percentage match from Lambda Legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between Lambda Legal management and the Lambda Unites bargaining unit. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on our blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education, work, and life experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Lambda Legal encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals and individuals living with HIV are all encouraged to apply.