Requisition No: 774001
Agency: State Courts System
Working Title: SENIOR TRIAL COURT STAFF ATTORNEY - 22008924
Position Number: 22008924
Posting Closing Date: 01/31/2023
Third Judicial Circuit of Florida
Columbia, Dixie, Hamilton, Lafayette, Madison, Suwannee, and Taylor Counties
Administrative Office of the Courts
173 NE Hernando Ave., RM 408
Lake City, Florida 32055
Senior Trial Court Staff Attorney
Position Number: 8924
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Starting Annual Salary: $60,314.90
The position is responsible for reviewing briefs and case files; conducting legal research; drafting memoranda, opinions, orders, and reports; and advising judges on pending litigation and issues. This is a high-volume work environment, and the individual needs to be self-motivated and dedicated. The largest portion of a staff attorney’s assignment focuses on pro se postconviction motions. This position involves very little courtroom exposure and requires an individual who enjoys research and writing. The position is located at the Columbia County courthouse. Remote work is an option for well qualified applicants.
Education, Experience, Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations:
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Law review or journal experience and/or advanced research and writing coursework preferred.
- Five years of experience in the practice of law or as a staff attorney in an appellate or trial court preferred. Qualified candidates with less experience may still apply and be considered, but the salary will be commensurate with skills and background.
- Member in good standing with the Florida Bar.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess an interest and strong proficiency in researching, analyzing, and communicating technical legal issues and drafting concise, well-reasoned orders;
- Possess strong attention to detail and superior writing and grammar skills;
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Westlaw or LexisNexis and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to work independently and as part of the staff attorney team;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and produce timely and accurate work product; and
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters in accordance with Court Administration policies, the Rules Regulating Florida Bar, the Florida Statutes, and the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration.
How to Apply: All applications must be submitted through the People First website listed below, and include a cover letter, resume, self-edited writing sample (of no more than ten pages), and law school transcript. Incomplete applications may not be considered. The People First website is as follows: http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/peoplefirst
Accommodation: If you require accommodation to participate in the application/selection process, please call Lisa Butler at (386) 754-7107. Persons using a TDD may call the contact person through the Florida Relay Service at (800) 955-8771. The successful applicant will be required to undergo a criminal background check. The Third Judicial Circuit of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.