Position: Office Manager/Regional Program Coordinator
Office: Chicago, IL
Union Status: Level G2 (on scale of G1-G9)
Annual Salary: Range starts at $51,516 per Collective Bargaining Agreement
Travel: Up to 20%
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Office Manager/Regional Program Coordinator
We have an opening for an Office Manager/Regional Program Coordinator (OM/RPC) to join our Development department. The OM/RPC reports to the Regional Director and works closely with the Finance & Operations, Communications, and Legal departments to maintain and expand our events, programs, and outreach.
Event Planning & Coordination
- Plans, manages, executes, and/or assists on a wide range of special events and programs, and represents Lambda Legal in the communities we serve.
- Works directly with Regional Director and Major Gifts Officers (MGOs), event staff, volunteer committees, volunteer leadership, and all corporate and institutional sponsors of assigned events.
- Helps manage event tasks including: developing budgets and timelines; devising solicitation strategies; negotiating vendor contracts; organizing site visits; coordinating volunteers; designing and producing event promotional materials (invitations, social media and other collateral); and assisting with ticketing and seating.
- Manages online development materials, email correspondence, and regional social media pages/publicity (in coordination with Events staff, Regional Director, and MGOs) and maintains complete and accurate records of all Development events and fundraising across the region. This includes internal event calendar, modules, and revenue code information in Raisers Edge.
- Oversees smooth processing and recording of regional donations and receipts in collaboration with Development and Finance & Operations staff.
- Oversees proper data entry for donations and works with the Database team to ensure donor data is correct and secure.
- Works with staff to be aware of program staff appearance schedules in the region, advises the Regional Director and Major Gifts Officers of those public appearances, publicizes to membership through email, event pages and social media, and collects and imports event participant contact information into the appropriate database.
- Serves as coordinator for all pride participation and other community outreach across the region with particular focus on outreach to BIPOC and Trans/GNC communities.
- Works with Communications, Legal, and Development staff on the participation and presence of Lambda Legal at select pride celebrations and other community outreach events (includes registering for parades/marches, staffing booths/tables, securing and displaying material and collateral, scheduling and staffing volunteers, and post-event tracking of visitors and volunteers into the appropriate database.
- Coordinates programs and publicity for regional staff and other staff visiting the region for speaking and other public programs.
Training & Orientation
- Trains new Development interns and staff in Raiser’s Edge, other database management tools, and event procedures.
- Prepares workspace, keys, paperwork, and other office-specific information for new employees' and interns' orientation.
- Serves as resource for basic training on all office equipment and enterprise software.
Office Management & Administration
- Works with National Office Manager for on-the-ground dealings with building management office; oversees repair/cleaning work and personnel; keeps track of security needs and keys.
- Maintains office supplies, orders and approvals; and oversees organization and upkeep of office.
- Coordinates with National Office Manager for related vendors, contractors, external trainers, or other outsourced services that support the Regional Office operations. Creates and oversees the maintenance of physical and network filing systems for the office.
- Makes deposits, safeguards cash, and manages checkbook as necessary. Maintains and secures regional office petty cash funds; and balances account and reports regularly to Regional Director and Operations & Finance department. Assists with payments to vendors, reviews for accuracy, and processes invoices/requests for payment. Provides support for all activity related to incoming gifts and event transactions, including event sponsorships.
- Coordinates regional office staff meetings and other conference calls; maintains conference room schedule; sets agendas in consultation with Regional Director; is responsible for regional office calendar; and produces written minutes as needed.
- Coordinates staff activities such as retreats and celebrations in collaboration with the Regional Director.
- Handles all incoming phone calls, manages voicemails, and greets and announces guests. Develops and implements a plan to manage their reception duties while out of the office.
- Files, scans, and copies, as needed. Handles incoming and outgoing mail, packages and faxes, including internal distribution.
- Participates in organization-wide Operations meetings and represents the regional office on other committees as assigned by Regional Director. Meets weekly with Regional Director to provide updates on all office management.
- Provides direct support to Regional Director as needed including, but not limited to, expense reporting and travel assistance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Oversees and manages volunteer committees, event volunteers, and consultants.
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves. Skills and competencies include:
- 1-3 years of experience in not-for-profit development, events production and/or events management
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and fund-raising software (Raiser’s Edge, etc.)
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Verbally articulate with strong written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, independently motivated, and able to multi-task
- Able to travel on occasion and work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Convio, Drupal, Adobe Illustrator, HTML, or other design skills a plus
- Prior work on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community and/or people living with HIV and/or experience working with historically marginalized communities (in a professional or volunteer capacity) is preferred
Benefits include Short and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees have the opportunity to obtain additional coverage for themselves or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. There is also the option to enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a 2% contribution and up to a 4% match from Lambda Legal. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on their blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education or life or work experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and individuals living with HIV are encouraged to apply.