Position: Liberty Circle Manager
Office: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Washington, DC
Report To: Director of Member Services and Direct Marketing
Union Status: G5 (on scale of G1-G9)
Starting Annual Salary: Range starts at $65,934 per CBA* (higher starting salary is possible)
Travel: Some amount of travel (~15%) may be required
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
*Collective Bargaining Agreement
Who We Are
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ+ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in or near Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ+ community and all people living with HIV requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Liberty Circle Manager
Lambda Legal seeks an experienced annual fund giving manager to join the Development Team. The Liberty Circle Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing Lambda Legal’s Liberty Circle giving program and its corresponding benefits.
This role will lead and implement a comprehensive annual strategy through an intersectional lens for cultivating, soliciting, stewarding, and retaining gifts of $1,500 - $4,999 from new and existing Liberty Circle members through special appeals, communications, events, and individual meetings.
The successful candidate will be an experienced nonprofit fundraising professional with a background in building and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with individual donors as well as creating print and/or online collateral or communications to nonprofit audiences. This is an exciting opportunity for a fundraiser that is prepared to take ownership of this new role as it aligns with the larger work and goals of the Development Department.
The Liberty Circle Manager reports to the Director of Member Services and works closely with the Membership, Database, and Major Gifts and Events teams. The Liberty Circle Manager will serve to ensure the acquisition, retention, moves management, solicitation, and recognition of donors at the Liberty Circle level in partnership with assigned solicitors. The Liberty Circle Manager will also manage their own portfolio of donors and have their own financial goals/benchmarks. The expectations of this role include, but are not limited to, doing the following:
- Create and manage necessary cultivation and annual renewal materials of Liberty Circle donors across all portfolios, in partnership with our team of solicitors and Director of Member Services. This includes driving and supporting appeal strategies through e-mail, mail, events, and individual solicitations.
- Proactively support the Liberty Circle stewardship responsibilities of the Major Gifts team by assisting them in establishing and coordinating individualized solicitation plans for donors.
- Refine and maintain Liberty Circle levels and benefits while ensuring the fulfillment of donor benefits at all levels.
- Become proficient in all aspects of the Raiser’s Edge database view and Luminate online databases, including but limited to: enter data and generate reports; prepare data and create reports and mailing lists; record all donation information; and maintain communication records with donors.
- Analyze data regarding annual giving programs and past giving trends to improve program results and develop future strategies, and provide regular reporting on results.
- Coordinate data segmentation and database tracking for donor solicitations, and run/export data through queries.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team to create a schedule and develop solicitation and cultivation tools and content, including appeal letters, programmatic updates, and Lambda Legal’s quarterly Impact Newsletter.
- Lead the organization and implementation of National Liberty Circle engagements including virtual and in-person events; compile segmented invitation lists; engage featured program participants; create programs; provide program materials, prepare program scripts and participant remarks (as needed); and create/publicize accurate recognition lists.
- Actively participate in the budgeting and forecasting of the Liberty Circle program, including annual revenue goals and expense budgets.
- Provide attentive and helpful assistance and interaction with donors (via phone, computer and face-to-face).
- Additional duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will welcome the opportunity to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere. Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves.
Skills and competencies include:
- 3+ years of demonstrated success in a major gift or individual gift fundraising function required.
- Experience coordinating fundraising events or project management of print and online collateral desired.
- Proven experience expanding and cultivating existing donor relationships over time; campaign and annual giving experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of LGBTQ+ and/or philanthropic communities in assigned areas is required.
- Demonstrated experience working with racially and gender diverse volunteers and groups.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and interpersonal; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term authentic relationships.
- Flexible, adaptive, and innovative work style; a collaborator who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills both independently and across departments, with exceptional attention to detail especially in the areas of proofing/taking ownership and signing off on final projects.
- Highly proficient with donor databases and Microsoft Office applications, experience with Raiser’s Edge and/or Luminate preferred.
- Able to work independently on projects while understanding the bigger picture of the organization and how this role, and a given project, fits into Lambda Legal’s overall mission.
- Able to interact and collaborate with coworkers at, and across, all levels of the organization and teams - and excel in such an environment.
- Prior work on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community and/or people living with HIV is highly desirable, and experience working with historically marginalized communities (in a professional or volunteer capacity) is also desirable.
Benefits include Short and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance (Telemedicine included), Dental Insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program – all at no cost for the employee-only premium. Employees have the opportunity to obtain additional coverage for themselves or their families including Vision Insurance at a low cost. There is also the option to enroll in a pre-tax Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Transit Account. Lambda Legal offers a 403(b)-Retirement Plan with a 2% contribution and up to a 4% match from Lambda Legal. Paid time off includes the opportunity to accrue up to 15 days of vacation, 3 personal and 12 sick. Lambda Legal observes 10 holidays per year and is supportive of observance of religious holidays.
Read more about Lambda Legal's work on their blog, Twitter, and Instagram.
Lambda Legal believes in creating a more equitable playing field for applicants and values the depth of relevant skills built through successful education or life or work experiences. If your background and skills are a close match for this position, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ+, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and individuals living with HIV are encouraged to apply.