Requisition No: 738232
Agency: Children and Families
Working Title: SENIOR ATTORNEY - 60074493 1 1 1
Position Number: 60074493
Posting Closing Date: 03/07/2023
Children’s Legal Services
Department of Children and Families
Datyona Beach, FL
This position is eligible for either a part-time or full-time permanent appointment.
What you will do:
MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF CHILDREN!
Children’s Legal Services attorneys advocate for the safety, well-being, and permanency of Florida’s abused, abandoned, and neglected children. With a team of more than 300 attorneys, CLS is the leader in the courtroom at each stage of a Chapter 39 proceeding.
A CLS attorney has primary responsibility for multiple cases and must ensure Florida and federal legal requirements are met to secure permanent and safe homes for dependent children. A CLS attorney collaborates with investigators and case managers to gather the evidence necessary to support the legal action that is appropriate for each child and prepares those partners to serve as witnesses at trial. CLS attorneys advocate for children by employing best practice litigation techniques so that our pleadings and trial presentations lead the nation in dependency advocacy.
- Law Degree
- Minimum of 2 years bar admission
- Multi-week onboarding program created by trainers certified by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Quarterly intensive multi-day New Attorney Training conducted by certified trainers
- Annual multi-day Advanced Litigation Academy conducted by certified trainers
- Fulfillment of all CLE requirements through webinars and live trainings on topics including case law updates, statutory changes, courtroom skills, evidence, ethics, and legal writing.
Benefits for Working for the State of Florida:
- Florida Bar annual dues are paid for by the Department, contingent upon agency approval
- Public Loan Forgiveness Program
- No state income tax for residents of Florida
- On each anniversary date, you will be accredited 176 hours of annual leave and 104 hours of sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and one Personal Holiday each year
- State Group Insurance coverage options (health, life, dental, vision, and other supplemental insurance options)
- Retirement plan options, including employer contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Tuition waivers
- And more!
For a full-time permanent appointment, the annual base salary is $60,000 and total compensation inclusive of the benefits listed above is valued at a minimum of $83,689. Actual total compensation will vary based on insurance and retirement elections or election of a part-time permanent position.
For a more complete list of benefits, visit www.mybenefits.myflorida.com.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit an online application that includes a cover letter indicating whether you are seeking a part-time or full-time appointment and a resume that demonstrates your qualifications. You may be requested to subsequently provide a writing sample, law school transcripts, and references to assist the committee.
We have several ways you can grow as an attorney with CLS. There are pathways for promotion for those who want to be leaders in the courtroom and for those who would rather be leaders in the office. To open the door for growth, CLS invites all of its team members to participate on special projects that create strategies for better outcomes for children. Come grow with us today!
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.