The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) seeks an IT Systems Manager for the San Francisco office.
Our work is guided by the principles of freedom, equality, and justice enumerated in the Constitution. However, we know that because of historic and systemic racism and other forms of oppression, these principles are not equitably applied to all. In an ideal world, everyone would have equal access to justice and equal protection under the law. Unfortunately, neither our world nor our country is ideal. Our work involves hard subject matters that can be emotionally draining for some people. Ideal candidates will understand that as a mission driven organization; we strive to make the world a better place knowing that the road is long and hard. At the same time, we understand the importance of self-care, and do our best to reflect that in our practices and values.
The IT Systems Manager is key member of Administration Team responsible for IT Operations and managing the relationship with IT vendors, including the managed services provider (MSP). The incumbent will work with the managed services provider, and when appropriate, other ACLU IT staff to recommend, plan and implement upgrades and improvements to ensure network and systems security. The IT Systems Manager will manage IT projects, including working with staff to gather requirements, research and recommend viable solutions and oversee the implementation of select products and services. The IT Systems Manager will also supervise the IT Operations Coordinator, ensuring that equipment is inventoried, deployed, and secured. This is a management position and is not member of the union.
This is position will work out of the San Francisco Office regularly and is eligible to telecommute a portion of the time.
About the Organization
The ACLU of Northern California is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) is comprised of two distinct corporations, the ACLU Foundation of Northern California (the “Foundation”, a 501c3) and the ACLU of Northern California (the “Union”, a 501c4). The incumbent is a joint employee of both corporations. For most of the last century, ACLU Nor Cal has been part of many of the most major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state.
Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper but are protected in practice. As we move into a new era, we face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight these policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms. At the same time, ACLU NorCal is committed to advancing proactive and positive change to transform laws and institutions to advance our values. We are committed to fostering an anti-racist work culture and to anti-racist principles and learning.
The ACLU NorCal physical offices are open. Vaccination against COVID-19 is required as a condition of employment unless an exemption is requested and approved. Masking is required for in person work at this time.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise IT Operations Coordinator
- Develop and recommend IT strategies and solutions
- Prepare and manage IT budget and approve associated expenses.
- Collaborate with national ACLU and other ACLU CA entities around system design, deployment, and sharing and learning best practice
- Manage relationships with external vendors and MSP for support and services
- Maintain and support existing systems within ACLU NorCal’s environment
- Partner with Operations to review changes and upgrades for critical systems
- Oversee user administration and roles management with MSP
- Partner with departments to add new capabilities to existing systems and identify new system and software solutions to improve on and meet growing business requirements
- Work with MSP to ensure best practices when it comes to storage, maintenance, and integrity of data
- Manage day-to-day project details and communications, including coordinating engagement and deliverables with key contacts.
- Assess current practices, collect information, and analyze business requirements to assist with the selection and implementation of new technology.
- Attend required business and technology meetings to gain visibility and provide input to help the project hit milestones and timelines
- Lead project meetings with team members and appropriate stakeholders in which milestones and deliverables are reviewed, issues and risks are identified and discussed, action items are determined, followed by statuses/notes, problem resolution, decisions, etc.
- Provide regular updates and statuses to senior management.
- Drive innovative and creative approaches to problem solving, resulting in quality deliverables which support overall departmental and corporate business strategy and keep projects/deliverables aligned with project timelines
Education / Experience:
Seven (7) years of experience managing IT functions. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field. Equivalent professional experience can be substituted for educational requirement.
(We welcome you to include any lived experience you are comfortable sharing in your cover letter or an additional attachment)
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Experience with MS Dynamics NAV environment
- Experience managing IT projects
- Must have excellent PC skills and be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Access & PowerPoint
- Good communication skills
- Update to date knowledge and understanding of network security practices and standards
- Ideal candidate must have excellent prioritization skills and the ability to handle a multi-task environment
- Highly productive with minimal guidance or supervision
- Strong analytical, written and communication skills.
- Attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Have excellent and demonstrated customer service and communication skills.
- Have a positive attitude and a sense of urgency.
- Can work both independently and within a team environment.
- Be proficient in problem solving, have strong interpersonal and time management skills.
- Able to travel other offices (Sacramento and Fresno) when needed.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Cloud (365) services and management
- Proficiency in Asana or other Project Management applications
- Experience managing IT functions, including desktop software support, networking, hardware and software requirements and security
- Ability to stay up-to-date on current technology trends, including hardware, software and security
- Ability to spend significant time Spent on Computer
- Ability to lift 20-25 lbs.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk.
- Ability to keyboard and type
We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce through equity initiatives, which includes equitable pay practices. Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Starting salary range for this position is $108,180- $126,210 annually.
We understand how vital our work is and at the same time understand the toll engaged activism can take. Our goal is to retain staff and we believe that having a robust benefit offering is vital in meeting that goal. Our benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match. We have a robust Employee Assistance Program and emerging Employee Resource Groups.
This position is not represented.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, and 3) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter. Please submit your application online at: https://boards.greenhouse.io/aclunc/jobs/6763005002
The ACLU NorCal is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU NorCal strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is free from discrimination and supportive of a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our communities and the people we serve. ACLU NorCal will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).