Agency Overview: The Safe Center LI, Inc. (TSCLI) is the leading provider of services to victims of interpersonal violence in Nassau County. The agency provides comprehensive services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, and elder abuse. The Safe Center is a thought leader that seeks to develop and implement innovative interventions to meet the multifaceted needs of victims and survivors.
Description: The Domestic Violence Coordinated Entry System (DV-CES) is a process that was developed to ensure that all domestic violence victims experiencing a housing crisis have fair and equal access and are quickly identified, assessed for, referred, and connected to housing and assistance based on their strengths and needs. The Housing Specialist is part of this team. The role will require providing case management and diversion work to clients referred to DVCES. The Housing Specialist will also focus on developing relationships and expanding upon the pool of landlords and brokers working with the domestic violence housing programs on Long Island as well as expanding their knowledge of other housing opportunities.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Housing
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, maintain and sustain a Housing Directory which should, at minimum, include documentation of all contacts with housing providers including corporation name is applicable, name of contact, address, phone, date of contact and results of contact to ensure positive working relationships
- Research and expand upon knowledge of alternative housing options
- Maintain knowledge related to housing rentals, such as tenant rights and responsibilities, housing discrimination, communicating with landlords and others
- Organizing networking events for realtors and landlords to generate interest and awareness about the Long Island domestic violence housing programs as well as attending landlord/realtor events for networking purposes
- Provide case management and diversion work to people on the waitlist and/or people referred to DVCES on an as needed basis
- Mediate between HUD housing programs and landlords to ensure successful program outcomes
- Referrals and linkages
- Prepare monthly statistics and other program reporting
- Manage advertising /social media for program
- Regular supervision
- Attending staff meetings
- Travel with personal car required
- Travel and overnight stay for trainings and meetings
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bilingual/Spanish written and spoken preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, education, communications, related degree, or equivalent experience
- Experience with providing services to the homeless population preferred
- Experience with providing services to the homeless and low-income population. Ability to maintain relationships with Domestic Violence Rapid Rehousing (DV-RRH) providers, Landlords, Property Owners, DSS, and other Non-Profits
Hours, Compensation and Benefits:
- Full-Time, Non-Exempt, 35 hours per week 9:00am-5:00 pm (may need to flex time to accommodate program needs)
- Annual salary $42,000 plus additional $2,000 if bilingual
- Benefits: Health and dental insurance, paid vacation, and sick leave
- Mileage reimbursement for agency related travel
Send resume to Nicole Maggiotta at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE. While every application will be reviewed, only applicants being considered for the next step in the recruitment process will be contacted.
The Safe Center LI is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, , religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, , marital status, parental or familial status, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, , status as a protected veteran, military service, housing status, other non-merit factors, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Safe Center LI believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to providing comprehensive and quality services to the communities we serve. Our goal is to hire, promote and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve, at all job levels. We encourage those with lived experiences in the communities we serve to apply.